Sunday, November 20, 2011

Two Voice Poem

Bold = both people
italics = person 1 
Underline = person 2 




School is hard to get into.
I am working so hard to get into Harvard. I have a 98 average at Stuyvesant and have done all this community service and extra curricular activities. 
I'm trying to get back to my school after it was bombed by the Taliban.


My parents are worried. 
My dad has had a dream for me to go to Harvard, just like he did, since I was 10. 
My parents said if I try to go to school I could be killed by the insurgents on the street.


School will help my future. 
If I go to Harvard, then I can get a good job in business and make lots of money.
If I go to school, I can make something of myself and help my people get their freedom.


Why must it be so hard.
Why does it have to be Harvard? Can't I just shoot for Yale?
What will it take for me to get the education I need to help my country?


I wrote this two voice poem about the social issue of education. Person one thinks she has to go to  Harvard in order to be a success in todays economy and not to let down her dad. But she still has many other options. Although, some people in this country have the choice of which colleges to attend, some people in other less fortunate countries can't walk safely to school or even attend school on a daily basis. Person 2 lives in Afghanistan and his school was destroyed. His parents fear he will get hurt or killed when he leaves the house. Person 2 doesn't want to go to school to make money he wants to get an education so that he can help his country rebuild.  This  poem is 2 different people's interpretation on how difficult  it is to get an education and be successful  and how important education is to their families and countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment