Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's Nice to be Nice

        

It’s important to be kind to everyone even if they’re not always nice to you.  You should try to understand other people and why they act the way they do. You never know if or when you could be in someone else’s shoes.

Em, the protagonist in Runaway by Meg Cabot, demonstrates this lesson. Em has gone through a very traumatic experience. Less then a year ago, she had her brain transplanted into supermodel Nikki Howard’s body.  Because of this, Em is kind and tries to understand other’s perspectives.

Em’s empathy is displayed in many different scenerios. For example, when Em’s friend was trying to save her from a “romantic getaway” with her evil employer’s evil son, Em refuses to leave without Nikki; the girl whose body Em’s brain is in (67).  While Em puts herself out for Nikki, Nikki is not as nice. She criticizes Em to her face and trash talks her behind her back. “Don’t think this mean’s I like you,” Nikki tells Em  (4).  Still, Em empathizes with Nikki and her family.  Em knows first hand how much Nikki has lost.  Em can relate since she lost things too, like her family and friends.  Em tries to make Nikki happy by giving Nikki money and other things. But all Nikki wants is her body back. “I had never seen anyone look as sad as she had,” (127) Em thinks when she tells Nikki she can’t have her body. This shows that Em really feels for Nikki, even if Nikki doesn’t appreciate her for it.

I can definitely relate to Em. I feel it’s important to be nice to people even if they’re not necessarily nice to me and especially if they’re not as fortunate as I am or well equipped. For example, at camp this summer, there was a girl in my cabin with a disability.  She wasn’ t always nice to everyone and everyone wasn’t always nice to her. She demanded my attention and friendship and got mad at me because I had other friends.  But I still tried to be nice to her because I tried to imagine how hard her life must be.  I put myself in her shoes and tried to understand why she was the way she was. I thought that she may have always been treated differently because of her disability and maybe always struggled to make real friends.  I felt how hard her life must be.  I could empathize for her. Like Em,, I tried to be nice and understanding of someone else and their situation. This is a guideline for everyone because you don’t know what it’s like to be someone else until you step into their shoes, literally, like Em. 

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this post! I think you did a great job adding text evidence. I also think you did a really great job relating the book to your life, and giving evidence from your life. You also did a great job giving background from the book, and your example in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good post! I liked how you connected the book to yourself a lot about how you put yourself in other people's shoes and try to relate to them. I especially liked the connection to you and the disabled person, that was a really good connection and it really shows how you can relate to Em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really did connect to Regina's post! But this was really good and meaningful! i liked how you wrote text evidence. I also liked how you connected your life to the book. You did a really nice job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this a lot. I could tell you really thoght about what was going on in the book. I think writing about this idea was great because all readers can relate to it and you can relate to it. I like how you elaborated too, giving the reader of your blog a sense of what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really likeed how you really analised the book you did a great job elaborating and even though i had never read the book you gave me alot of details

    ReplyDelete