Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear Maria


Dear Maria, 

I’ve just read the first scene of Romeo and Juliet and if it weren’t for your story, I would be totally confused! Even knowing your sad story (and all the songs) I’m still lost!

I’ve observed that Shakespeare’s language is much different than the language I use today and the way you spoke in the 50s.  Even though I understand many of the words, the order and way Shakespeare puts them together is confusing. It is also hard to read Romeo and Juliet because it is all dialogue and long monologues. There isn’t any narration to help me understand what’s happening. Because much of it is in rhyme it sounds nice but it doesn’t always make sense to me.

At least I know and understand the main plot. I know that the Montagues (Romeo’s family) and the Capulets (Juliet’s family) are enemies and fighting. I also know that the Prince is frustrated and wants them to stop fighting and disturbing the peace in Verona. I also know that Romeo is sad and lovesick and that his family is very worried about him.

My experience reading Shakespeare hasn’t been the greatest so far. The language is difficult, and I’m still not sure what’s happening line by line. But I know the plot and what is going to happen thanks to watching and hearing your story millions of times and that’s really helped me.

If you are interested in reading the original version of your story, you will need to really take it slow. Stop and think every couple of lines and re read when you are confused. It also sometimes helps to read on and understand the big picture instead of focusing on all the individual words. I think that the more you read Shakespeare, the more you understand Shakespeare. Or at least I hope so!

Right now Romeo and Juliet is more work than it is worth. The language is very difficult to understand, and the plot seems slow moving and boring.  I think that it helps that I’ve seen or heard of other plays written by Shakespeare. Those plays were also more interesting than Romeo and Juliet maybe because they were comedies or scary.  But I’m still wondering if I understand your story so well, why don’t understand this?


No comments:

Post a Comment